Monday, November 15, 2010

Guest Blogger

Sometimes I get angry when Jackie doesn't update her blog. I visited the Patchwork Life to get an update on her life yesterday but do you know what I saw when I got there? No update. If you haven't guessed by now I, Lynne Pistachio Calamia, have commandeered her mini red computer and am forcefully guest blogging because I have a lot of important things to say about dogs.

I recently watched a NOVA documentary about dog-human communication. It was amazing and I can't stop talking about it and thinking about it. It is called Dogs Decoded and is available for your viewing pleasure at pbs.org. I graciously included the link so its easier to find and someone out there will actually watch it. As we all know dogs evolved from the Gray Wolf, but the Gray Wolf only has one bark. It makes one noise. Domesticated dogs have many different barks and scientists hypothesize that dogs developed these other barks to communicate with human beings! This scientist guy recorded different styles of barks and played them for human test subjects in his lab and an overwhelming amount of the humans figured out what the dogs were trying to communicate. That doesn't make sense and I don't know exactly how to explain it but for example he recorded a dog being approached by a stranger at the front gate of a house and the specific bark sound was recognized by people as a defense or a warning type bark. JUST WATCH THE SHOW its much better than how I'm explaining it here.

I'm feeling pressure to rush this guest blog post because Jackie and I are going to run some errands and I apologize for the content. I do not, however, apologize for the photo of me slow dancing with the dog. Notice how Benedict's hands are on my shoulders and my paws are on his waist which is clear reversal of normative slow dancing gender roles AND socially accepted species roles. TAKE THAT AMERICA!

Guest Blogger: The Lower Free Bridge/

1 comment:

  1. Dear Lynne,

    Thanks for the update. Jackie is such a slacker


    The Bean

    ReplyDelete