Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Dean's Choice Alumni Award winner

I have not written a post in a good long while here, but I think this is a good reason to get back in the swing of things.


I recently finished my last class for my graduate program and my graduation is May 23! I could not be more excited to be able to read for fun, but I will miss my program. I met some great people, got a lot of good insight into higher education and its future. But just to top the cherry on the graduation sundae, I received this email today:


Hi Jacqueline,

On behalf of the Dean of the School of Professional Development and the Alumni Association, I am pleased to inform you that you have been selected as the Dean's Choice Alumni Award winner for 2013. Samantha Segal, Assistant Director of the Higher Education Administration program, nominated you based on your grades and the enthusiastic feedback provided by your practicum supervisor. 

This recognition comes with a cash award of $1000. [...]

Congratulations on completing your degree with distinction. We are looking forward to seeing you at graduation.

Regards,
Shawna

I found myself crying and shaking (maybe an overreaction, but I never, ever win things and it was baffling to be recognized in that program).  It would have been enough to win an award for my graduate program, but a  cash award as well is over-the-top. I am excited for the next chapter in my life, but this is one I am pretty sad to end. (Am I sad enough to consider a doctorate in the field right now? No, I am not that sad.)

So, I would like to give special recognition here to those who made this whole thing possible. There are three  people I could not have done this without:

Gordon: My amazingly supportive husband, co-payer, proofer, and cheerleader.
Lynne: Going through grad school together helped me keep my sanity. We proofed each others stuff and I think I sent more to you than anyone else.
Kristine: For proofing (yes, I had a lot of proofreaders, you don't get As by not having someone else review your work), reminding me that there is an end to grad school, and being proud of me. I tend to put myself down a lot, and you help build me back up. I hope I do the same for you.

My mom and sister, Erin, are coming in for my grad school graduation, which is amazingly sweet of them. In my head I try to tone down my excitement about graduation because most people probably don't even go to their graduate graduation (cough, Gordon, cough). But I feel like I put a lot of work into my program and I am excited to have a formal ending to it all.

Update: I told my boss about the award and she was thrilled. She had me send it to her to share with the VP and President of the College. That kind of just made my day even better.

1 comment: